2012 Destroys the Box Office Competition
Posted by: Brad Sturdivant
Roland Emmerich’s latest end-of-the-world action film 2012 took the top spot at the box office this weekend with $65 million. I’m a little surprised by that number given we’ve seen this kind of movie before and mid-November isn’t exactly a typical weekend to release a movie like this. But it didn’t have much competition since A CHRISTMAS CAROL only managed $22.3 million and that was good enough for second. For those of you that are keeping track of early Oscar favorites, PRECIOUS; BASED ON THE NOVEL ‘PUSH’ BY SAPPHIRE came in fourth place with just over $6 million.
But really, everyone is just trying to get what they can until next week’s NEW MOON. TWILIGHT managed almost $70 in its opening weekend and that was without the super-hype machine we have behind NEW MOON.
1. 2012 $65,000,000
2. A Christmas Carol (2009) $22,325,000
3. The Men Who Stare at Goats $6,200,000
4. Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire $6,090,000
5. Michael Jackson’s This Is It $5,100,000
6. The Fourth Kind $4,744,000
7. Couples Retreat $4,253,000
8. Paranormal Activity $4,200,000
9. Law Abiding Citizen $3,932,000
Source: Box Office Mojo