Clash of the Titans holds back Tyler Perry for #1 at the box office
Posted by: Brad Sturdivant
CLASH OF THE TITANS had all the makings of a huge hit; a recognizable star, a popular story, great previews and it was even in “3D”. The result was a whopping $61.4 million at the box office this past weekend, which was more than enough for the top spot. I had to put 3D in quotes because Titans had some of the worst 3D effects I’ve ever seen on film. There’s a point where 3D isn’t cool anymore and more films like Titans will reduce the life span of 3D. In what might be a surprise to some of you, Tyler Perry’s WHY DID I GET MARRIED TOO managed $30 million, which beat out HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON and ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Flying dragons and Johnny Depp can’t beat out Tyler Perry. And the AVATAR watch continues with the film pulling in another million to bring its record setting total to $742 million.
Next week sees the release of the Steve Carell and Tina Fey comedy DATE NIGHT and a wider release of the Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning music biopic THE RUNAWAYS. I think after the bad word of mouth for Titans, DATE NIGHT should take the top spot, but you never know when it comes to 3D.
1. Clash of the Titans $61.4 million
2. Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married Too $30 million
3. How to Train Your Dragon $29.2 million
4. The Last Song $16.2 million
5. Alice in Wonderland $8.2 million
6. Hot Tub Time Machine $8 million
7. The Bounty Hunter $6.2 million
8. Diary of a Wimpy Kid $ 5.5 million
9. She’s Out of My League $1.4 million
10. Shutter Island $1.4 million
Source: Box Office Mojo