George Lucas met with Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher about Star Wars: Episode 7
Hollywood is still reeling today after Tuesday’s announcement that George Lucas has sold Lucasfilm to Disney and that STAR WARS: EPISODE VII is on the way in 2015. The first question on everyone’s mind was whether or not our favorite actors from the original trilogy, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, would reprise their classic characters or not. Before we go any further, it’s important to keep in mind that we have the next three years to speculate and guess what’s going to happen and who will be starring in Episode 7, so if you’re not up for three years worth of rumors, you probably shouldn’t even get on the internet until after 2019. And even then, you can bet that another trilogy will follow after that.
But I digress. The news is that today we have news straight from Luke Skywalker’s (Mark Hamill, for those new to this) mouth that George Lucas met with him and Carrie Fisher regarding the upcoming trilogy. EW caught up with him and he said “He did tell us last summer about wanting to go on and do [Episodes] VII, VIII, and IX, and that [newly appointed Lucasfilm president] Kathleen Kennedy would be doing them. But until we know more, it’s hard to make any comment other than congratulations to George.” He went on to say “So when he said, ‘We decided we’re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,’ I was just gobsmacked. ‘What? Are you nuts?!’ …he was just talking about writers and the fact that he wouldn’t be directing. I guess he wanted us to know before everybody else knew. He said, ‘Now you can’t tell anybody!’ [Laughs] Even now I’m nervous about saying anything. I just don’t know!,”
Obviously, Hamill has to be careful because nothing is finalized and no contract has been signed, but this is the best indication we’ve had so far that the possibility of the original trio returning is at least a possibility. True, Harrison Ford has said he has no interest in playing Han Solo again, but as we all know, money talks. The other big Star Wars news this morning is that George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy also met with screenwriters to hear ideas for the next trilogy. According to the LA Times, they were meeting with some big name screenwriters, another indication that they want to get this right. Obviously, we’ll keep you updated as the Star Wars news rolls in.