The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition coming to 3D Blu-ray in November
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced that both the standard 3-disc Blu-ray/UltraViolet and 5-disc 3D BD/Ultraviolet Combo Pack of Peter Jackson’s THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY (click the link to read the review), will be available on November 5th, 2013.
This new Extended Cut will include an additional 13 minutes of extra film footage that will enhance the original film. All disc versions of the Extended Edition will include almost nine hours of new bonus features.
Here’s the official film synopsis: The adventure follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome Dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the Wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of 13 Dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild, through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins, Orcs and deadly Wargs, as well as a mysterious and sinister figure known only as the Necromancer.
Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the Goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever…Gollum.
Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of ingenuity and courage that surprise even him; he also gains possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities…A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know. Check out the trailer below.
Special features will be available on both the 2D and 3D releases of the Extended Edition and include:
• The Filmmakers’ Commentary – Director/writer/producer Peter Jackson and writer/co-producer Philippa Boyens provide their perspective and stories on creating the first film.
• New Zealand: Home of Middle-Earth – From Matamata to Queenstown, travel with Peter Jackson and his team across the stunning locations of New Zealand, transformed by the filmmakers into Middle-Earth.
• The Appendices Part 7: A Long-Expected Journey – A 14-part chronological history of the filming of An Unexpected Journey, covering pre-production in the various departments of the film in the months leading up to the start of principal photography, the boot camp training for the main cast, and the work done on set chronologically through the three shooting blocks and in the world of its digital effects.
• The Appendices Part 8: Return to Middle-Earth – Another selection of documentaries and featurettes await, further detailing the development, design and production of An Unexpected Journey:
- The Company of Thorin – Explores the characters and backgrounds of the five families of dwarves and the company of actors chosen to play Thorin’s company on the Quest of the Lonely Mountain.
- Mr. Baggins: The 14th Member – A revealing look at the film’s charismatic and talented lead actor, Martin Freeman.
- Durin’s Folk: Creating the Dwarves – Reveals the journey and process of designing, conceptualizing and physically realizing the dwarves in The Hobbit.
- The Peoples and Denizens of Middle-Earth – Focuses on the realization of new characters and creatures encountered in the first film, from casting to characterization to physical and digital design.
- Realms of the Third Age: From Bag End to Goblin Town – Follows the creation of the Middle-Earth locations from conceptual design to set and prop building to fully digital realities.
- The Songs of The Hobbit – A look at the realization of Tolkien’s songs in An Unexpected Journey.